Excuse me while I unbury myself from loads of boxes. 😉 We’re moving! Jesse accepted a job at a church about 2 hours away from where we live now. It all happened pretty fast over the last few months, but we are excited about this new opportunity! We packed up our apartment over the last few days and are now in the process of unpacking our things in our new house. This is move #2 for us. Our first home as a couple was in Thailand, where we lived for about 2 years. The move back from Thailand was fairly simple, because we knew we pretty much had to get rid of/sell everything in our house. We only shipped back 3 boxes ahead of time and then checked in our luggage full of our clothes on the plane ride back. This time around was different from the last move…but again, we didn’t have tons and tons to pack because our teeny apartment didn’t allow much room for us to accumulate a lot of stuff! I’m thinking I better get used to this moving thing (umm..military life!), but thankfully, we won’t have to pack up everything by ourselves and haul it on our own once active duty.
I found a few tips and tricks around the internet and we also found out some things on our own that were pretty helpful. They may seem simple, but here are a few things that helped as we packed things up:
1. We kept all the clothes hanging up in the closet on the hangers. We put garbage bags over the clothes and put tape around the hangers at the top. Easy transport and ready to be hung up.
2. We kept all the clothes we had in our dresser drawers folded inside the drawers. We simply took the drawers out to carry them separate from the dresser.
3. I made sure to pack an “overnight bag.” We dropped off pretty much everything at our new house on Wednesday, but I knew we would be staying back at our apartment for a few more nights to finish up the cleaning.
4. I used a lot of our towels to wrap breakable items in such as kitchenware, etc.
5. We went around and asked many different stores and businesses if they had any boxes they wanted to get rid of. The only place we had any luck at was CVS. They let us know when their trucks were scheduled to drop off shipments so that we could grab the empty boxes after they unloaded. (We also ended up having to buy a few bigger ones from U-Haul).
I am excited to start putting things together in our new place! We aren’t used to this much space and are excited to decorate and have room for hosting guests. Have you moved recently? What are some of your moving tips?