Today I wanted to share something a little bit different. Lately, our life seems to be getting busier and busier by the minute and so I just wanted to share a few things that hopefully you can relate to as well! Let’s face it, life gets busy. It can get overwhelming and hectic and next thing you know you’re waist deep in dirty laundry and dishes. With your never-ending to-do list, it’s hard not to wonder how the “pinterest-perfect” girls do it. Their clothes, their house, their family..it’s all so… perfect. Well I’m here to tell you, it’s not all perfect. Most of the time the only thing that you’re seeing is the one corner of the house that is actually clean and put together. People and society put such high standards on life which can seem unreachable most of the time. Don’t dwell on what you feel the world expects of you… you do you. If everything isn’t perfect, oh well. (I’m preaching to myself here too!) But on those days that are just too overwhelming, here are 5 simple ways to overcome the chaos in your life.
- Make mini goals. Make small, reachable goals for the day and write them down! Try your best to get those things accomplished and don’t forget to celebrate/reward yourself when you do! One of my favorite sayings lately is “celebrate the tiny victories!” And what if you don’t get through your goals for the day? Don’t beat yourself up over it. There’s always tomorrow.
- Set a timer. It sounds silly but when you’re getting overwhelmed and find yourself walking in circles, walk away. Set your phone for 30 minutes or so and destress a bit… that could mean taking a nap, watching a show, reading…whatever helps you relax and take your mind off of things. And don’t feel guilty about doing this. Relax and enjoy.
- Set a schedule. Similarly, make a point to have some sort of structure amidst the busyness. Jesse and I make it a priority to go out on a date night once a week. It doesn’t matter what the week may hold, we look forward to our time away from everything to just spend time together.
- Change things up. Hear me out. Routine is good but trying something new or doing a normal everyday task differently can make a difference! Whether it’s in a different order or doing things in a different setting, mixing things up a bit can make everyday tasks seem not so bad. For us, we like taking our laptops to the local coffee shop and doing work there. Being in a different setting helps us keep focused and not get distracted by other duties around the house.
- Be grateful. Take a moment and just be thankful. Even in the chaos take a minute to look around and acknowledge all that you have and thank God for all of it. Don’t waste your time wishing for the next stage in your life when things will finally “slow down.” Focus on what is in front of you and make the best out of your current adventure.
So how about you? What do you do to push through the chaos? How do you take a break from the busyness in life?? I’d love to hear your input! Let’s talk in the comments below! xo.