When we moved into our new house, we didn’t have a kitchen table to bring with us. The apartment we moved from was small and had a breakfast bar so we didn’t need a table (and couldn’t fit a table)! The kitchen in our new house has a nice open area for a big table but as we started shopping for one, we quickly found out how pricey they were! I jumped on Pinterest one night and starting searching for DIY kitchen tables. I pinned lots of different table plans and we headed to our local lumber store to get a rough idea of how much it would cost to make one. The guy at the shop was so helpful and we were surprised how affordable it would be to do this project! The cost of the kind of tables we were looking at were around $700 or more. Our table, including all materials from start to finish came out to around $120! We are so happy with how it turned out! It was our first major DIY project and is something that’s so special to have in our home.
This is the link to the plan we followed. We made tweaks along the way and adjusted several measurements, but this was our basic guide. Jesse was so patient with me! He did all the hard work of cutting the pieces and drilling everything together. We picked out a stain color and after just one coat I hated it so we went back to the store and picked another color. The color isn’t showing up the greatest in the photos below, but the color turned out a really nice medium shade with gray undertones. I feel like staining definitely took the longest, especially since I had to start over with a second color. Once all the pieces were stained, it didn’t take long to put together.
It is a good thing we measured the door opening into the house because we found that we would have to assemble the rest inside the kitchen because there was no way this thing would be fitting through the door. Once it was all together we also found out just how heavy it is! This table isn’t budging!
For the chairs, I saw some pictures on Pinterest I liked of different styles of chairs painted all the same color so that is what I decided to do. I found four of the chairs through Craigslist and the other two at a consignment shop. For most of the chairs I only paid $5 a piece – I think there were two that were $7 each. I was excited that I found them all so cheap and decided to spray paint them black. I really love how they turned out!
I was excited to share this project in our home with you all today and hope you enjoyed seeing it! Some things that are labeled DIY on Pinterest can be a little intimidating at times (at least for me), but I’m so glad we took the chance and accomplished this project for our home together! Thanks for checking out the blog today! xo.